Monday, July 4, 2011

A Sheep Without A Shepherd!


Gospel Reading: Matthew 9, 32-38

Like a sheep without a shepherd. Have you ever wondered why Jesus often used the imagery of the sheep and the shepherd when He talked about His relationship with us? There were also other animals during His time. There were also cows, bulls, pigs, dogs, cats, and perhaps rabbits. But why the sheep?

Sheep are meek and fragile creatures. They have this dominance hierarchy. Wikipedia describes them as having the "natural inclination to follow a leader to new pastures." They don't think on their own, they simply follow their leaders. It doesn't make them less as an animal, they are just simply created that way. Naturally meek and trusting, they simply follow. This is the reason why shepherds are very much part of their lives. The shepherds guide them to the greener pasture, keep them away from harm, and tend to their other needs. An absentee shepherd will surely do harm than good to the sheep.

We do have a sheep here in the Archbishop's House. It was given as an offering to the Archbishop in one of his masses. We don't have any shepherd though, and I am not yet ready to take that responsibility. The sheep learns to live a life on its own. After months of staying here, the sheep tends to forget what it really is - a sheep. Now, it seems to be acting as though it were a dog. It is now eating left-over foods. Left on its own, the sheep tends to imitate the dogs nearby. It cannot decide on its own and live as it should be, a sheep.

Like a sheep without a shepherd. I can only imagine what will happen to me if Jesus were not with me. I am a wayward son. I easily get sidetracked. At times like the sheep in the Bishop's House who acts like a dog, I tend to forget that I am an adopted child of God, redeemed by the blood of Christ, and called to live as a member of a pilgrim community, Left on my own, I know I can create havoc and disaster.

My story is also everbody's story. Waywardness is the story of every man and woman. As Jesus noticed, we are like sheep. We need a shepherd who will be our guide. Jesus says, "I am the Good Shepherd!" He knows how to bring me to the right path, to lead me to greener pasture, and to tend to my needs. We all need the Good Shepherd.

There are times when we are a little bit off from the track, a little bit deaf from His calling, a little bit calloused in making moral judgments. Do not be afraid! Jesus, our Shepherd, is always with us. We may at times feel that we are at the edge of a cliff, rest assured that when we let go and let God, He is there, ready to catch us at every fall. Be trusting! Hold on! With Jesus at our side, we are no longer shepherd-less sheep for He is the Good Shepherd.

No comments:

Post a Comment