Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Lord, Why Me? "And Why Not?" God Answered!



Reading: Genesis 41, 55-57; 42, 5-7, 17-24

If you were the one to be thrown down a dried-up well, then taken out after an hour only to be sold to a merchant like a commodity, what would you feel? Joseph, the dreamer, could have asked himself a million times what he had done to deserve such an ill-treatment from his own flesh and blood. Jealousy, he would admit that but what they did to him was too much for the little favors he had been receiving from their dear old dad, Jacob.

Are you in this situation? In a situation where you don't know what life is up for you? Where there is no other way to move but out. Perhaps, we are asking God, "Why Me?" Then furthermore we complained, "I don't think I deserve this misery. I have been doing what is asked of me. Attended masses on Sundays and have been good to my neighbors, but why me?"

We don't know what God is up to, but I am pretty sure that it will turn out just perfect for us. Joseph, after being sold to the Egyptians was sent to a dungeon after he rejected the advances of his mistress. He was there, in the dark, like a criminal, a prisoner in a foreign land. He must have asked God that same questions we are asking now. He must have enumerated before God the good things he did and the irony of what is taking place with his life.

I remembered when I was sent out of the seminary formation in the year 2005. I asked God, "Why?" I could not understand and grasped what God was baking for me. But after 3 years, I found out that God allowed things to happen for me to be able to enjoy in the span of three years what I have been dreaming for - traveling. I have been in every known cities of the country, explored the heights of the mountains and the depths of the seas. I enjoyed the luxury of working and be surrounded with the company of great friends. Had he not allowed me to go through the pain of being sent out, I could not have experienced the travels I did for three years after that seemingly miserable year. And most importantly, I could not have experienced having to enjoy the very me that God created. Alone in the distant city of Cebu, I befriended myself and enjoyed my very own company.

We may not be able to see the hands of God in our situation now. It may seem too blurry and out of direction. But this I can attest, and this God has promised, He is preparing the best for us. The best that we have now may not be the best that God has in stored for you. He knows what is best! Just hold on and have faith!



Years after Joseph was sold to the Egyptians, He became the most powerful person in Egypt, next to Pharaoh. He became the governor and was in-charge of disposing the goods of the powerful country. God did not want Joseph to remain an herdsman in his country. God planned greater things for him. In order for that plan to be realized, Joseph has to be sold first.

I am sure God is preparing great things for you. Just hold on and have faith.

2 comments: