Thursday, June 30, 2011

Thank God It's Friday!

Thank God It's Friday (TGIF). Long before I had the chance to be part of the working class of this country, I just couldn't understand what was there on Friday nights to look forward to. I mean Friday nights seemed to be just like any other nights. It starts at nine in the evening and ends six hours later. But when I had my share of having to go to an office, to deal with supervisors and managers, and to try hard hitting targets and quotas, it was then that Friday nights became such a relief. But then Friday night came, Saturday morning followed, the next time I opened my eyes, it was again time to be in the office. Friday nights offered relief, albeit temporarily.

Jesus, in our Gospel reading today, said, "Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest." Did Jesus say come to me and your heavy loads will be gone forever? No! He said, "I will give you rest!" Jesus Christ offers that we spend our Friday nights with Him. He invites us to cling to Him for rest.

We can never do away with the difficulties and challenges of life. But let us not be weary. Instead, let us be consoled because someone offers Himself to us that we can take our rest.

Furthermore, Jesus invites us to "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart... For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Instead of looking for Friday nights to console us momentarily, we embrace the yoke of Jesus. We will still be facing the same difficulties and challenges, but this time around, with Jesus Christ with us, it will be easy and our burden light. He assures us that with Him, "you will find rest for yourselves."

May we all learn to run to Jesus when we are tired and weary. He alone can give us real and lasting comfort. He alone can give us lasting peace. So instead of saying TGIF, we say, "Thank God for Jesus!"

No comments:

Post a Comment