Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My Sins Are Forgiven?

One of the cases (made up stories) I read from the collection of cases for our Ad Audiendas Confessiones (On Hearing Confessions) that created a great impact on me was that of a 65-year old woman who went to confession after hearing mass. She said, "Bless me Father for I have sinned. I have had an abortion and it haunts me until now." The priest was shocked because the woman was of age and pregnancy was impossible for her more so with abortion. He was silent for a while. Then the old woman continued. I was 18 when it happened but until now I still carry with me the guilt. The priest asked, "Is this the first time that you confess this sin?" The old woman replied, "No, I have been confessing this sin and even almost every month but the guilt haunts me until now."

The case was just a made up story but I think somewhere, somehow, in one of the corners of our churches, the story holds true. This case happens everyday though it wears different hues and shades but it does happen. I can only imagine how the old woman spent her days, for the last 47 years of her life, in such guilt-stricken heart. I can only imagine how she felt every time a new born baby cries. She lived her life feeling that she was not forgiven by God.

In today's Gospel reading Jesus said, "Courage, child, your sins are forgiven!" No amount of sin can separate us from the love of God. No amount of sin can equal the love of the Father. No amount of sin is ever unforgivable before Father. He loves so much the world (all of us) that He gave His only Son, Jesus Christ, so that whoever believes in Him may have life, life eternal."

But we often doubt this love of God. We often think that sin is more powerful than love. Jesus Christ assures us, no amount of sin can ever keep us away from Him. Today, Jesus reminds us that His love for us is beyond the bounds of human imagination. His love for us is greater than the sin we committed.

When we are in sin, we are away from the presence of God. It is not because God hides himself from us, but that we hide ourselves from Him. God is simply waiting for our return. Like the father of the Prodigal Son, he awaits patiently for our coming home.

If we are in a state of sin and are now haunted by the guilt of the mistakes we have committed in the past, Jesus Christ has offered us the Sacrament of Reconciliation. He awaits for our return.

Let us trust and believe that God loves us so much and that no amount of sin we have committed are ever unforgivable for Him. He offers us forgiveness. He offers us His love. All we need to do is embrace this loving and forgiving God. We also pray that those who are forgiven by God, like the 65-year old woman, will try to forgive themselves as they are forgiven by God. May we truly be like our Father, loving and forgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment